The SCAR Project

I was benignly checking Twitter one day when I saw a tweet from Anne Marie Ginanni (Stupid Dumb Bread Cancer) that Facebook was taking down pictures from The Scar Project’s FB page.   A further tweet by David Jay, the photographer who undertook this project, informed us that Facebook had also banned him from posting for thirty days.

Why is this important?  Facebook, in its decision to censor these photographs, has placed the project’s images in the same category of images that objectify women and sexualize the female breast.  We all know that breast cancer is not a pink ribbon, but Facebook seems to think that images of amputation or reconstruction is erotic and therefore a violation of their terms of service.

To call attention to this misguided policy and with the desire to change it, I have started a petition to call Facebook’s attention to this egregious policy.   Please take a few moments, to view The SCAR Project and then click on the image below to sign this petition.

fb petition

This entry was posted in Advocacy, Social Commentary and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to The SCAR Project

1. keithw says:

Signed. Reposting to my FB page. Damned imbeciles.

2. On my way to sign right now. Good on you (or rather AWESOME on you) for taking action, Scorchy.

3. Elizabeth says:

Just signed the petition Scorchy
    Yes the face of Cancer is not Pink.It is mutilation and scarring worn by brave Breast Cancer women.
    Thanking you for bring attention to this
    P.S.How is your Laundry pile?Did you tackle it or did it grow legs and walk away.
    Take care young lady!

Thanks Elizabeth! Facebook has taken notice and we need to keep up the pressure!

As to the laundry pile, a good friend came by and did two loads of laundry for me. Then a few days later a dear friend and colleague came into town from Oregon to attend a conference, but came by the day before to visit and she did the last two loads. She was able to catch the towels just before they marched out of the basket. Close call. I have the best friends in the world–both “real” and “virtual.” xoxoxo

4. well, done, scorchy! i commented and signed. hope this is a better week for you with lots less pain.

love you, XOXO

karen, TC

5. jbaird says:

This really is egregious. So glad you brought this to our attention.

6. Thank goodness indeed. I signed.

7. Thanks to Cancer In My Thirties for sending me here. I was unbelievably pissed off with Facebook when I read this story. They can allow people to “Like” rape and torture but they won’t allow pictures of women with mastectomies. My mother had a double mastectomy (which I wrote about on my blog) and that didn’t make her any less of a woman. I signed the petition.

8. Marge says:

I think it is really important to sign the petition today more than ever. With Angelina Jolie’s op-ed, I hear more women talking about removing their breasts, but unlike Jolie, most woman can’t afford the reconstruction surgery. Women need to know what they are truly getting into.

9. Just signed the petition and am going to think happy thoughts until the urge to punch Zuckerburg and his idiot minions subsides.

10. Reblogged this on cancerinmythirties and commented:
    The Scar Project — Reblogging this from The Sarcastic Boob

11. Thanks for posting this, Scorchy. Reblogging it right now. Hope you aren’t feeling too crappy today!

12. helensamia says:

Done and shared!!

13. helensamia says:

The Scar Project is wonderful… I wonder if anyone at FB actually read what it was about???? Some narrow minded people obviously reported the page and then it was banned for 30 days…. There are pages out there showing all sorts of things that never get stopped as no one reports them… FB is just run by machines that do not actually ask questions they are just programmed to respond in certain ways…

14. Done. I love the Scar Project. Every time someone would post some pink ribbon nonsense on my FB wall, I would post a link to the SP on theirs. Didn’t get too many comments, but the ribbons stopped 😉

I am so glad you started this petition. I signed immediately. Thanks Scorchy for all your work on this.